Swabs must be taken into Amies charcoal transport medium (ACTM) and should arrive at the laboratory within 48 hours of being taken.
- Genital swabs are automatically screened for CEM, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. All Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated will be typed by the Quelling method to ascertain pathogenicity. Aerobic reports will be available after 24-48 hours, while official HBLB CEM certificate will be issued after seven days.
- Routine bacteriology samples such as swabs and body fluids will be cultured under aerobic, microaerophilic or anaerobic conditions as appropriate, and antibiotic sensitivity tests will be performed where potential pathogens are isolated. Results are generally ready in 48 hours from receipt, although anaerobic culture takes seven days.
- Faecal samples will be screened for Salmonella, Campylobacteur and Yersinia.
- Nasal swabs, nasopharyngeal swabs and tracheal washes will be screened for Streptococcus equi, Rhodococcus equi, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Bordetella bronchiseptica and other respiratory pathogens.
- Skin scrapings will be examined microscopically for evidence of ringworm and ectoparasites.
- Tracheal washes: microscopic examination, cytology, bacteriology and sensitivity analyses are all routinely carried out.
- Cytology will be carried out on appropriate samples such as tracheal washes, joint fluids and cervical smears.
|Genital Swab for CEM||Swab in Amies Charcoal Transport Medium (ACTM)||7 days|
|Swab for routine Bacteriology||Swab in ACTM||18 - 48 hours|
|Body Fluid Culture||Sample in sterile container with no additives||48 hours - 4 days|
|Strangles Screen||Nasal, nasopharyngeal or abscess swabs||2 - 3 days|
|Faecal Culture||Faecal sample in sterile container or rectal swab in ACTM||2 - 3 days|
|Salmonella Culture||Faeces or swab in ACTM||2 - 3 days|
|Rotavirus Screen||Faeces||Same day|
|Occult Blood||Faeces||Same day|
|Klebsiella Typing||After initial isolation and identification typing by the Quelling Method from swab in ACTM||Up to 7 days|
|Skin Scraping||Microscopy for ringworm and ectoparasites||Same day|
|Bacterial culture||18 - 48 hours|
Please click here for a printable request form.